db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:54:43 GMT
> Thanks to everyone for thinking through the issues here. This has been
> very helpful. I don't understand the practical advantages of a copy
> versus a branch, particularly since I will have to create a branch
> eventually. I could use some more education here.

Copy == branch. For great explanations of all things svn, I suggest
the excellent svn reference at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html

See, in particular, the "Key Concepts Behind Branches," "Common
Branching Patterns,"  and the section on Tags.

> What would be the
> objections to the following scheme? A big advantage to this scheme is
> that it's something I can wrap my mind around:
>
> </snip perfectly acceptable plan>

I agree, don't worry too much about it and just do what makes sense to
you. If you find you don't like the option you chose, or the community
balks at the approach for some reason, then hey, you can always back
up, start over, or switch back, since it's version controlled. :-)

andrew