db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:02:04 GMT

> I'm getting (more?) confused now. I thought that the approach Andrew
> brought up of the svn copy, followed by modifying the beta bit in that
> branch would leave a svn history with a unique svn revision number. I
> was assuming the flip the bit was committed back to the branch.
> Or is a copy not a branch?

This is correct. In svn a copy == a branch == a tag. With the approach
I'm suggesting, what goes out as beta would be fully represented by a
source tree in svn. The copy and the flipping of the bit and such
would all be done and committed to a source tree in the tags
subdirectory of derby/code, copied from the trunk, and what goes out
would not be modified in any way from the a specific revision of the
tags/10.0.2.1_beta subdirectory.

I think there's some confusion over the fact that in svn, copy ==
branch (== tag).

andrew