db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:40:09 GMT
On 8/9/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Is there any impact to having a milestone event like beta 10.2  not
> recorded in our svn history?

Yes, and its a matter of confidence as to what a 'beta 10.2' that is
broadcasted far-and-wide actually represents. The beta code, built
through normal processes, will report itself as a specific svn
revision, and whether or not it has been modified from its subversion
source. If the beta reports as being at a revision that is modified
from what's in svn, then that's a little suspect. What really went out
as the beta? There's no way to verify via source control. That's a
problem, to me anyway.

To be pedantic, yes, I know, you could fake the version number of a
modified binary as being from unmodified subversion source even though
the code it was built from was in fact modified. Since the beta would
necessarily be posted to our website by someone in our community, we
should have confidence that such a deception would not occur.

View raw message