db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:20:56 GMT
On 8/9/06, David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
> Interesting idea.  I feel like I'm really missing something.  If no
> other changes go into the svn copy, why are we making the copy?

What Kristian said. Basically, there needs to be a copy somewhere in
svn where we can mark it as beta, since there was an objection to
doing it in the trunk. Tags seems like a good place for that, for
obvious reasons.

On 8/9/06, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:

> Based on Andrews suggestion, the copy is "thrown away"/forgotten when
> the time comes to create the real branch.

After the necessary changes are made so that it reports its version as
beta, that copy then lives on as a normal tag, as a record of what
went out as the beta, which is useful. So yes, with the approach I was
suggesting, the intent would be that once the beta is distributed, no
changes of any kind would happen to the copy in tags.

andrew