db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:18:31 GMT
On 8/9/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I say this is not true.  We make the branch and just make that one beta
> flag flip.
> Everyone gets their builds setup and running but we keep working on the
> trunk.
> Nobody bothers with merging fixes to the branch.
>
> Then at whatever point we feel we need a real branch  someone does  one
> biggish merge
> with the range for all that has gone into the trunk so far and just
> reverse merge the one change
> for the 10.3 version bump.

There's another option, too, that I just thought of. svn copy the
trunk into tags/10.2.1.0_beta. Flip the beta flag, roll the beta
distributions. No other changes go into this copy of the trunk.

When the time comes, branch the new 10.2.1.0 branch off the trunk, and
do any reverse merging as necessary.

SVN copies are cheap, we should take advantage of that.

andrew