db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 07:38:15 GMT
On 8/7/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> How can we make a big splash with the Beta Announcement and follow-up to
> get users pounding on 10.2 to make sure this is a quality release?
> I am interested in ideas from the community.

Well, apparently posting to derby-user is not enough. So, if we want
additional uptake in the number of testers for a beta release, there's
going to have to be some proactive promotion of that beta release. Off
the top of my head, getting a beta announcement posted to the
following sites came to mind as good avenues for promotion:

http://www.apachenews.org/
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/
http://www.java.net/ - but where?
http://www.onjava.com/ (or osdir.com)
http://www.theserverside.com/

What would be best is to somehow get it into a venue that feeds into
other news channels. For official releases, posting to
announce@www.apache.org does the trick. Is that appropriate for a beta
announcement? I'm not sure. Incubator projects often announce
milestone releases on that list. Is a beta that different?

Getting something posted to one of the above-mentioned venues may
require a bit of effort on the part of the poster. Ideally, we would
want to post in the places most travelled by current derby-users. But,
other than derby-user, we don't have any clues on that*. But, that's
what I thought of off the top of my head, so I thought I'd throw it
out there...

andrew

* just for fun, i thought of this: http://www.google.com/trends?q=apache+derby