db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question on Grant/Revoke
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:58:41 GMT
Rajesh Kartha wrote:

>>Mamta Satoor wrote:
>>Manjula, I haven't looked at the SQL spec but it looks like that the
> update statement is doing a select operation on the
>>column id with "where id=3" and  that is what is causing Derby to send
> an error.
>
> More questions:
> If a separate Select privilege is indeed required then I think the
> 'grant update on t1 to DBUSER' statement should not be succesful.

No, you need the SELECT privilege because you are reading the id column,
not because you are updating the column.

I assume if this update is executed, then no select privilege would be
needed:

UPDATE T SET ID = ?

Or with this UPDATE

UPDATE T SET ID = ? WHERE NAME = ?

that one needs UPDATE on T(ID) and SELECT on T(NAME).

Dan.