db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-1566: "SQL error messages and exceptions" doc
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:15:36 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Jean and David,
>
> Thanks for all this great, painstaking work! Here's where I hope we can
> end up:
>
> A) David's tool is checked into the codeline.
>
> B) Just before building the docs, the release manager can run the tool
> in order to generate the latest and greatest version.
>
> So I have a question and a comment.
>
> The question is this: Has (A) happened?

(A) has not happened. I think specific location might need to be
discussed and agreed upon. David's original suggested package
org.apache.derby.tools, his current suggests org.apache.derbyBuild.

(B) needs a little more work -- a manual post-processing step is
required to html-encode the message for sqlstate 42Y04 because it
includes '<' and '>'.

>> 2) The 10.1 doc replaces the variable markers, such as {0}, with human
>> readable tags, such as <constraintName>.
>> I don't intend to replace those {n} tags with human readable names. If
>> anyone would like to offer to do so, feel free.
>>
> I think that those substitutions make for better documentation but I
> don't see how we can teach David's tool to perform those
> substitutions--certainly not in the short run. In my opinion, more value
> is added by David's automated process for generating an accurate,
> up-to-date list of SQLStates. So I am happy with your solution: don't
> substitute the variable markers.

I agree that accurate is more valuable. Also, I think the context for
most of the messages makes it pretty clear what the marker means.

 -jean