db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject XML type description - possible changes?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:33:28 GMT
The XML type has this description in the reference manual:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefsqljtypexml.html

"An XML column is used to store Unicode character-based data, such as
large documents in any character set, that conform to the SQL/XML
definition of a well-formed XML(DOCUMENT(ANY)) value.

An XML value can be up to 2,147,483,647 characters long"

That seems wrong to me, the use of "store Unicode character-based", any
implementation details are not important here. Also the use of "large"
is not relevant, what about small XML documents?

Looking at the other type definitions it seems something like this would
match, though it seems unwieldy.

"XML provides for storage of Extensible Markup Language (XML) documents,
that conform to the SQL/XML definition of a well-formed
XML(DOCUMENT(ANY)) value."

Also I'm not sure about the character limitation on the XML value, is
that the limit on the input string to the document, or its final
storage? Not sure describing the final stored limit in terms of
characters makes sense here.

Dan.