db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Notes
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:41:39 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> Is there also a preliminary version of the Release
>> Notes bundled with the release candidate itself?
>

> For the first couple of releases, I tracked individual JIRA items in
> the CHANGES file. That became burdensome as the number of changes and
> JIRA items fixed became very much larger with the 10.1 releases. Since
> the necessary information is tracked in JIRA, I went with including a
> brief blurb in CHANGES with a pointer to JIRA's release notes.
> Although now that I think about it, a link back to the release page
> would have been better, since it captures all the JIRA information as
> well as the release notes written by members of the community, test
> results, etc.

Does that mean the downloaded packages have no release notes?  So if a
release is made with known bugs, the only way to find that out is to go
to the Apache Derby site and find the release notes there?

This seems like an issue, it's typically to have this kind of
information with the download, not separate. It's also based upon an
assumption that internet access is easy, which is not true for all of
the world. People may be getting Derby from CD/DVDs or bundled within
other applications. Assuming there's an easy path back to the apacche
site seems wrong.

Dan.