db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [junit] Move JUnit base/utility classes???
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:23:26 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>
>> Andreas Korneliussen wrote:

>>> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>>> <>

>>> Maybe it is sufficient to support testing the public methods of public
>>> classes ?
>>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> In my opinion, it is not.
>> There are some quite complex classes which are not part of the public
>> API. Testing these indirectly through the public API is a lot of work,
>> and it might be hard to construct all variations/codepaths.
>
> I think Andreas meant testing a class through its public methods and
> interfaces, not Derby's public API. E.g. a module implementation can be
> tested through its api from org.apache.derby.iapi. That should be pretty
> direct testing that is able to cover all of the code in the module.
>

>> I recently experienced this problem. I "solved" it by writing my own
>> unit test and placing it in the appropriate package, which was not
>> contributed to the community. But maybe this is more of an exception
>> than the general case. The existing code base does not have this kind of
>> tests.
>
> I must have missed this test being discussed on the list, can you
> provide a link to the archives so I can see the kind of issues you were
> hitting.
>
>> If the consensus is not to support unit tests of this kind, I will
>> either write indirect tests instead or test less of the code. My worry
>> is the latter approach...
>
> One argument could be that if you can't test a code through its public
> api then there is something wrong with the code, but maybe that's
> optimistic. That's why I'd like to see the example you hit.

Sorry for this short answer Dan.

I hope to write a better one tomorrow. Just to show that what I propose
is not a new idea, I recommend people to read this entry in the JUnit FAQ:
http://junit.sourceforge.net/doc/faq/faq.htm#organize_1

I guess maybe I have formulated myself a little poorly.

Regards,
--
Kristian