db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Mustang license (was Re: spec license updated, looks good ...)
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:33:55 GMT
I want to keep the community informed on where this issue stands right
now. The short story is that the lawyers are still working on some
solution which will allow us to build our JDBC4 drivers even though Java
SE 6 is still in beta. The  lawyers know that we want to build a release
candidate at the end of this week.

In the meantime, I have successfully built Derby's JDBC4 support under
the following scenarios and run derbyall cleanly against the built jars
under both jdk1.4 and jdk1.6:

1) I have built the JDBC4 support using the 1.5 compiler and the 1.6 rt.jar.

2) I have built the JDBC4 support using the 1.5 compiler and the 1.5
rt.jar overlaid with an extension jar file containing the 1.6 JDBC
packages (java.sql and javax.sql).

However, to my non-lawyer's eye, neither of these approaches solves our
legal problem because the Mustang license taints the libraries as well
as the compiler.

Regards,
-Rick