db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: beta snapshot download from the website
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:30:45 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>
>> I would like to send a mail to derby-user about the
>> RegressionSearchAndDestroy contest and point to the beta.     Looking
>> at the downloads page I don't see the beta listed as a snapshot I had
>> to search the archives to find the download location.    Is that the
>> best way for users to find the derby beta download location?  Are
>> there plans to make it available as a snapshot from the website or add
>> a link?
>
> The download page looks stale to me. Right now, the best way to navigate
> to the beta is through the 10.2 wiki page:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease. That page gives users a
> lot of context, including the current bug status and a pointer to a
> description of the beta contents. I'd like to continue routing everyone
> through that page because it's easier to keep it current. However, I
> agree that it's confusing that the download page doesn't point users to
> one of our important downloads.

feel free to update it! From 'svn log' on the source for the downloads
page I see that at least 4 committers know how to update it.

>> Also noticed that on the download page in the left panel, derby
>> 10.1.2.1 is listed instead of 10.1.3.1.

Good catch -- and where to correct that isn't obvious. Here is the file:

   derby/site/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml

It has this entry:

   <latests   label="10.1.2.1"
href="releases/release-10.1.2.1.cgi"/>

which could be changed to this:

   <latests   label="10.1.3.1"
href="releases/release-10.1.3.1.cgi"/>

In fact, I'd recommend just removing that line since the latest download
is in the table of contents for that page.

> Also, the latest 10.1 snapshot on that page is older than the current
> 10.1 release. That looks odd. I think this page needs some cleanup and
> probably some rethinking.

I'm going to be gone tomorrow (Friday) through the weekend and don't
have time to make that change. But as I said up above, other committers
know how to change this page, so feel free to do so.

 -jean