db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Checking out of the list for a while and parting thoughts on 10.2
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:18:01 GMT
I'll be off the list for the next several weeks.    I hope everyone will
keep watching out for regressions and  issues with user impact and
really pound on 10.2. Please encourage users and projects you know of
where you work to do the same.   Pick up buddy testing, try tutorials,
do doc reviews, anything we can do to cram more testing into this
exremely short testing period is good. Derbyall on a dozens of platforms
is great, but is not what is going to flush out 10.2 issues.   We need
to partner with our users to flush out issues and take angles not
covered in derbyall.

I thought that Andrew's ideas to notify other projects were great as
blog references etc. It would be great to send notification of the beta
  to all the  projects/products listed at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby if that is not considered as
too much spam.  Most important (I think)  is to get the beta available
for download from the website so folks can point to it.  If it can't go
on the downloads page, perhaps at least it could be linked from news or
something.    I hope that someone will take on these marketing tasks as
I think they will make a huge difference to 10.2.

If current schedules hold, I  won't be here for the vote  but I do think
it is great that for releases we go by majority vote  so nobody feels
inhibited to vote  their conscience.  I hope everyone's vote is a
reflection of their personal confidence in 10.2 as thoroughly tested,
production level release that provides seamless upgrade from previous
releases.  I am not sure that I could make that mental  jump personally
unless we saw a huge spike in positive user feedback, but am lucky not
to have to think about it too much.  I'll be making major decisions like
picking out a beach chair #:)

See y'all later.

Kathey