db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:18:24 GMT
Suresh Thalamati wrote:

> I find it hard to switch between spaces for new files and tabs for old
> files. It is pain to remember to find, if a file is
> tab-formatted/space-formatted, and format appropriately.
>
> If most of the current code is formatted with tabs, why not use tabs
> until we decided to reformat the code with spaces.

Unfortunately, this does not work as a large portion of the code (the
complete set of client code and  other code as well )  already  has
space indentation.  Indenting with tabs and setting  tab stop 4 in your
editor  causes diff utilities such as svn diff and the visual diff tool
that I use to  have  unreadable indentation and making reviews very
hard.    Again using 4 space indentation in tab indented code creates
the same problem with diffs.

We are gradually moving from driving on the left side of the road to the
right which is painful.

Kathey

BTW: I would most appreciate a pointer to a diff uitlity where I can set
tab stops to 4 if anyone knows of one.