db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [junit] Move JUnit base/utility classes???
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:24:57 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Sounds good to me...
>
> David
>
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> Currently the JUnit base and utility classes are in this package:
>>
>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util
>>
>> (See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting)
>>
>> I was wondering if they should be moved, for two reasons:
>>
>>   1) That package is cluttered up with other stuff, it's more or less a
>> dumping ground. Utilites, JUnit base classes, "user level" classes for
>> procedures and vtis, etc.
>>
>>   2) JUnit tests can be much more than funcional tests, e.g. having
>> system tests as JUnit tests would make them easy for everyone to run.
>>
>> I was thinking of the following package:
>>
>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit
>>
>> The package would be limited to base classes for JUnit tests and JUnit
>> related utilities such as the JDBC class. Classes for specific tests, or
>> those that implement Java procedures for tests etc. would not be allowed.
>>
>> The functional tests would continue to live in their current location,
>> just that the super-class BaseJDBCTestCase would be in the new package.
>>
>> Thoughts?

I support moving the utility classes to a new package.

Below are some thoughts on how Junit tests could be structured, in case
we would like to also move tests:

Package for derby-specific utility classes:

org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.util
  -> TestConfiguration, JDBCClient, JDBC,..

Package for common testcase/testsetup classes:

org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.common
  -> BaseTestCase, BaseJDBCTestCase, BaseJDBCTestSetup

Packages for tests:
  org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.tests
  org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.tests.jdbcapi
  org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.tests.lang
  org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.tests.store
  org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.tests. . .

Andreas