db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Mustang license (was Re: spec license updated, looks good ...)
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:51:09 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> This looks to me like the license distributed with the current Mustang
> beta, which I used to generate the Derby 10.2.1.0 beta.
>
> Regards,
> -Rick

I finally read the license at the link posted in the email below [1] and
am immediately drawn to these paragraphs:

> 2.2 Binary Code. Sun grants to Licensee, a
> non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free and
> limited license to use the binary code portions of the
> Licensed Software internally for the purposes of
> evaluation only.

> 3.5 Licensee shall have no right to use the Licensed
> Software for productive or commercial use.

I'm concerned about these phrases:

 - limited license
 - internally
 - evaluation only
 - no right to use ... for productive .... use

Can Mustang be used to build the Derby 10.2 release?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems we're back to the same issue
we had with JDBC 4.0.

 -jean

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jdk-6-beta2-license.txt