db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:20:20 GMT
my vote:-0

I continue to struggle with this issue.  I don't think we should
reformat the style of all the existing code, it is going to cause
merge hell.  But
if we don't why vote yes for this proposal as then it is just a lie
saying " Derby uses the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming
Language" (http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html)
... ".  So I am unclear on what I am voting on.  Is it just the
following code convention is a perfectly acceptable way to submit
derby code, as well there might be others?

I haven't voted -1 as I don't have a better suggestion for a standard,
other than the code in a file should be clear and consistent.  Even
things I particularly don't like, like 80+ character lines are sometimes
more clear than hoops to make them less than 80 character.

I do think the space/tab issue causes headaches.  We could just document
it, but I actually think we should reformat the code with respect to
tabstop and just move to spaces.  I wish we were attacking the root
problems causing people pain up front.  What I see as problems are:
1) space/tab issue is causing problems.  Some tools just don't like 4
space tabs.
2) do not make review/commit job harder by doing format changes along
with "real" code changes.