db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:58:32 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> This is a vote to define the coding conventions for the Derby project
> per the db project guidelines http://db.apache.org/source.html
> Vote closes  10:00am, Wednesday, August  15.

It's interesting seeing the discussion on this and it some ways it
circling back to the original Cloudscape coding standard which was
"write clear code (with tab stops as four)" and really is the current
hidden implict current Derby standard.

It's also a little strange that the items that people seem to like most
are the *exceptions* to Sun's standards. I agree the exceptions are
good, which leads to the question why are we using those standards.

Also looking back through the discussion it's not obvious to me what
problems we are trying to solve, just blindly following the DB
guidelines is not a good reason. If we documented the implict standard
today then we would be in lines with the DB guidelines (IMHO).

I know there are problems, maybe if we started with those, not a
solution we might get somewhere. I think these are some of the problems:

1) Patches are submitted with changes not related to the issue in hand,
especially with white space diffs.

2) Patch files tend to be confusing to read when the code contains a
mixture of spaces and tabs for indentation (e.g. new code has spaces,
surrounding code has tabs)

3) People looking at the code don't know the tab-stop is meant to be at
four so the code looks messed up to them (probably leading to 1).

Dan.