db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:36:08 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure I understand this point. If we recommend a style primer,
>> then I think we're saying that the style is safe and we don't expect
>> committers to flunk a conforming patch for style reasons--provided,
>> of course, that the code is clear. "Recommended" means "safe". I'm
>> just saying it doesn't mean "mandatory". I don't think our
>> perspectives are that far apart.
>>
> I don't think I as a new developer would read the primer pointer as
> being safe, nor as an existing developer would I  read in this the
> need to make sure that new developers could use that convention safely.
> I would like to better understand whether your objection to the
> proposed wording.  Is it that it will inhibit your personal style
> choices or is it that you are concerned that others in the future
> might interpret it to mean their style choices are limited and that is
> bad for the project in some way?
>
> Kathey

I think that there are sound reasons to depart from this style depending
on the particular problem your code is solving. Some have been
discussed. Others will come up. I am content to deal with them on a
case-by-case basis. We can amend our conventions later on. Again, I
don't want to bring this vote to a halt. I am changing my vote to

-0

Regards,
-Rick