db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:50:19 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand this point. If we recommend a style primer,
> then I think we're saying that the style is safe and we don't expect
> committers to flunk a conforming patch for style reasons--provided, of
> course, that the code is clear. "Recommended" means "safe". I'm just
> saying it doesn't mean "mandatory". I don't think our perspectives are
> that far apart.

I don't think I as a new developer would read the primer pointer as
being safe, nor as an existing developer would I  read in this the need
to make sure that new developers could use that convention safely.

I would like to better understand whether your objection to the proposed
wording.  Is it that it will inhibit your personal style choices or is
it that you are concerned that others in the future might interpret it
to mean their style choices are limited and that is bad for the project
in some way?

Kathey