db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Explanation of documentation file names (was :Re: How to commit documentation patches?)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:33:12 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> As someone who has recently started to make contributions to the Derby
> docs, I have found a few "holes" in what is written on that page.
> After 10.2, I plan to make some updates to it, including proposing
> some standards, and an explanation of the file names (yes they are
> confusing :-)

Hello Laura,

I'm planning to take on a documentation task, which involves converting
HTML files to the DITA XML format. I'm getting ready for that now, but I
too don't understand the naming of the source files.

There seems to be some prefixes:
  * 'c', 'r' and 't'.
    Not quite sure what these are.
  * 'dev', 'tools', 'tuning', 'ref'
    These indicate which manual the file belongs to.

And, the great mystery, what do all the digits mean?
Are they generated by a (deprecated) tool, are they random?
For instance, 'rrefexcept71493.dita'.

Can anyone please explain the naming scheme used for documentation
source files?

Thanks,
--
Kristian