db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: test failures caused by firewall software? (was Re: Regression Test Failure! - Derby 430109 - Sun DBTG)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 04:28:24 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:

>>>Just FYI,  I think there is something  not quite right with network
>>>server's interaction with firewall software or maybe , where one can
>>>get a hang even though the software is set to allow connections.
>>

>>Should have said:
>>
>>Just FYI,  I think there is something  not quite right with network
>>server's interaction with firewall software or maybe the tests , where
>>one can get a hang even though the software is set to allow connections.
>>Also DERBY-1278 looks like another similar hang with testSecMec on Z/OS.
>

> FYI - I'm seeing a hang running derbyNet/testProperties test. I tried
> without the firewall software and still see it.

So this hang is a test problem, not one with the network server. The
testProperties.execCmd() is used to fork a JVM and not handle its
streams. This will cause problems, as indicated by the javadoc for Process.

"The parent process uses these streams to feed input to and get output
from the subprocess. Because some native platforms only provide limited
buffer size for standard input and output streams, failure to promptly
write the input stream or read the output stream of the subprocess may
cause the subprocess to block, and even deadlock."

Making the hack change to always process the streams to System.out made
the hang disappear, though of course introduced more output, I'm not
sure how stable it is though.

Dan.