db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:57:26 GMT
My vote: -0

I'm not too fond of coding conventions, ecpecially when they're as large
as this one. The amendments are ok, though.

BTW: I think the most important rule is in a note in Kathey's call for
vote: "Patches should not have white space diffs." The second most
important rule I would prefer to be "Use common sense".

Kathey Marsden wrote:
> This is a vote to define the coding conventions for the Derby project
> per the db project guidelines http://db.apache.org/source.html
> Vote closes  10:00am, Wednesday, August  15.
>
> [+1]  Adopt the coding convention described.
> [-1 ] Do not adopt the coding convention described.
>
> The conventions outlined below will be published on the wiki page
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist
>
> Derby uses the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language"
> (http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html) with these
> amendments:
> - space indentation (no tabs).
> - Derby does not discourage deferring variable declaration to the first
> use.
> - Lines should be limited to 80 characters
> - @author tags should not be used at all
>
> Note: There is a great deal of existing code that does not match this
> convention. Changes to existing code should match the surrounding code
> for readability, matching tabs or spaces as appropriate (see Tabs) .
> Patches should not have white space diffs. Code and diffs should be
> readable in  context.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway