db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:47:32 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> I don't want to stop the vote if we can avoid it. However, I have
>> some misgivings that we may not agree on what we're approving.
>> Everyone may be hearing what they want to hear.
>>
> I see what you are saying about folks hearing what they want to hear.
>
>> Clarity is the key goal of Derby's coding standards. The coding
>> guidelines at
>> http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html are a
>> style primer, not a law book. Mine this document for good examples
>> but use your common sense. Feel free to disregard any advice which is
>> religious in nature or which would make your code brittle. Above all
>> else, write clearly.
>>
>  I don't think this wording would bring us into compliance with the db
> project guidelines that we have  a "well-defined convention"  and
> would create a state without a general agreed upon direction where we
> are bound to have countless discussions about code formatting
> "religion" as you put it.    We need an agreed upon base color for our
> shed.  If as folks are painting they feel the need to vary a bit that
> does not interfere with the general color scheme, add trim etc, that
> is reasonable, but  we don't want to go back to a state where we
> encourage everyone to grab a can of whatever color paint they want and
> start painting and repainting, running colors into each other and have
> to debate about it.

Just want to make sure we have realistic expectations for this vote:
Since we are not bulk-reformatting the code, even after this vote Derby
won't conform to the db project guidelines.

The guidelines don't specify how extensive the hard-and-fast rules have
to be. To date, here are the only ones I think we have discussed
extensively:

1) No tabs.
2) Indentation stops set at 4 spaces.
3) Line length not to exceed 80 characters.

To this, with the community's approval, I would add

0) Write clearly.

A good enough coding standard would be these 4 hard-and-fast rules plus
a pointer to a non-binding style primer. Let's keep it simple and focus
on the issues which actually bothered us.

Regards,
-Rick