db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:02:03 GMT
I don't want to stop the vote if we can avoid it. However, I have some
misgivings that we may not agree on what we're approving. Everyone may
be hearing what they want to hear.

I am ok with the vote continuing provided that we understand this:

Clarity is the key goal of Derby's coding standards. The coding
guidelines at
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html are a style
primer, not a law book. Mine this document for good examples but use
your common sense. Feel free to disregard any advice which is religious
in nature or which would make your code brittle. Above all else, write
clearly.

Regards,
-Rick