db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Defining the term "official Derby beta release"
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:25:49 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>I think the process for the previous Derby releases worked well, don't
>think we need to add any formalility to it. I think a summary would be:
>  - create branch
>  - stablize branch with snapshots
>  - produce release candidate & vote on it

This covers the development angle,  but what  I think what is needed for
10.2 and significant feature releases is a beta  that users can identify
and focus on as a snapshot that has the feature set for the release and
signifies that it is really time to try it.  I don't think we have to
have a vote to reach beta status,  like the http project.  I think it
can be the release manager's call.   I asked for clarification because I
  was confused by the term "beta candidate".  I think if I were a user,
I would think, oh this is the beta candidate,  I'll wait for the actual
beta.  We need user testing now, a beta available for download from the
website that users will be motivated to try.

 Maybe  finer grained version of  Dan's process would be

 - create branch
 - Create first beta snapshot
 - stabilize branch with additional beta snapshots
 - produce release candidate & vote on it

Kathey