db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: How to commit documentation patches?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:14:23 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> As someone who has recently started to make contributions to the Derby
> docs, I have found a few "holes" in what is written on that page.
> After 10.2, I plan to make some updates to it, including proposing
> some standards, and an explanation of the file names (yes they are
> confusing :-)

excellent! Improvements are always welcome.

> I am not a committer so I would need someone who is to help me
> understand the steps required for committing doc info so that I can
> write that up for the community.

this would be excellent to writeup as well.

So far the process has been pretty ad hoc. Last week I offered to do
10.2 doc commits [1]:

> I'll volunteer to keep these on my radar. If reviewers will please add a
> comment to the Jira issue that the patch is good to go (or not), I'll
> then commit the ones that are ready.

Of course, any other committer is also welcome to jump in, but it looks
to me like everyone is massively busy.

The main thing I'm looking for is a clear comment in Jira that indicates
a patch is ready to commit.  There are *lots* of doc patches and I don't
have time to review them; I'm relying on technically knowledgeable
reviewers to indicate a patch is ready. For example, Deepa's comment in
DERBY-1057 [2] is *perfect* (thanks, Deepa!):

> Thanks Laura for addressing my comments. I looked at the updated html file "rtunpropersqlauth.html"
for tuning guide and it looks good to me. My +1 to commit this patch "derby1057_tuning4.diff".

I especially appreciate Deepa including the name of the patch file in
her comment.  Some of the Jira issues, such as DERBY-1057, have so many
patches it can get kind of confusing.

Once the 10.2 dust settles, maybe we can work out consistent procedures
for us all to follow. --And also improve the instructions so any
committer feels comfortable committing doc patches.

btw, Laura, you're doing a terrific job and I appreciate it. You, too, Kim!

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200608.mbox/%3c44DA54CF.9020602@bristowhill.com%3e
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1057#action_12427289