db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2.1.0 beta candidate available for testing
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:06:02 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>Hi Kathey,
>>
>>Thanks for bringing up this issue. I appreciate all of your help as I
>>plod through this. Right now we just have a distribution with "beta" in
>>its release id. I think that this distribution exceeds the low bar set
>>by that web page: "This [beta designation] indicates that it is expected
>>to compile and perform basic tasks. However, there may be problems with
>>this release that prohibit its widespread adoption." However, to
>>technically qualify as an Apache beta, we need to schedule a vote. I
>>will do that.
>>

>Is the "beta" the same as the "release candidate" mentioned in your
>initial planning posts?
>
>Or do you see a strong beta moving to release candidate?

Hi Jean,

I don't think that this beta can become a release. It has some serious
defects, including the licensing issues. However, those defects do not
prevent users from testing the completed features. I'm hoping we will
get significant feedback during this beta period so that the next
distribution can be a serious release candidate

Regards,
-Rick