db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:05:49 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I am happy with this clarification.

great!  That is a relief

> I would prefer that the proposal stated this explicitly so that there
> is no confusion.

If you are ok in principle, I'd rather not stop the vote now if we can
avoid it.  Perhaps  you could  propose new wording for a subsequent
revision if you think it is important. The important thing in publishing
a coding convention is that new developers joining the project can set
their IDE's/editors  a certain way and know if they do that they won't
hit any tripwires.  Just about every new developer in this project
(except for you) has hit this tripwire.  You were keen to it having
navigated the course before.   Most folks coming in to fix their bug and
get out, don't have time for the traditional code formatting hazing
ritual and I don't care to subject them to it anymore.  This has wasted
a lot of people a lot of time.

Kathey