db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining the term "official Derby beta release"
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:32:58 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I was going to call a vote to give an official beta designation to the
> 10.2.1.0 distriibution availiable at
> http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.0-beta/. However, I don't
> think that the Derby community has defined what this term means yet.
> Kathey has provided a pointer to the definition of this term used by the
> HTTP Server project: (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html).
>
> For the HTTP Server community, beta designation comes at the end of a
> vetting cycle and involves a community vote: First the community
> determines that the code performs basic tasks. I think this means that
> the Derby community would need to vote on the status of the trunk before
> cutting a release branch and changing the release id from "alpha" to
> "beta". I'm not aware that we have ever done that. Have I missed a step?
> For 10.2, we simply marched toward our goal, announced in advance that
> the branch was imminent, fielded no objections, then cut the branch. Do
> we want to adopt a more formal process like that used by the HTTP Server
> project?

We want to adopt our own process for the details of alpha/beta/ga, and
learn from the other apache projects. The HTTP server release page lays
out some good general guidelines that go across all projects:
   - release manager is in charge
   - cannot stop devlopment
   - can have multiple competing releases
   - etc. etc.

I think the process for the previous Derby releases worked well, don't
think we need to add any formalility to it. I think a summary would be:
  - create branch
  - stablize branch with snapshots
  - produce release candidate & vote on it

Dan.