db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Defining the term "official Derby beta release"
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:22:53 GMT
I was going to call a vote to give an official beta designation to the
10.2.1.0 distriibution availiable at
http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.0-beta/. However, I don't
think that the Derby community has defined what this term means yet.
Kathey has provided a pointer to the definition of this term used by the
HTTP Server project: (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html).

For the HTTP Server community, beta designation comes at the end of a
vetting cycle and involves a community vote: First the community
determines that the code performs basic tasks. I think this means that
the Derby community would need to vote on the status of the trunk before
cutting a release branch and changing the release id from "alpha" to
"beta". I'm not aware that we have ever done that. Have I missed a step?
For 10.2, we simply marched toward our goal, announced in advance that
the branch was imminent, fielded no objections, then cut the branch. Do
we want to adopt a more formal process like that used by the HTTP Server
project?

Thanks,
-Rick