db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:31:44 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> -1
>
> On the whole, I think that the proposed guidelines are decent.
> However, I would like us to emphasize that these are guidelines and
> not laws.

I too think we should not be militant about this, think clarity is key,
and don't want to see inserted layers of tools to enforce pure structure
long term.  This is why I proposed we change the ContributorChecklist to
use the word "convention"  and not "standard"  indicating that it is a
custom or practice. I think that the current wording captures that well
and is sufficiently soft  considering the   db project guidelines
actually sound much more strict

from : http://db.apache.org/source.html.

"
All Java Language source code in the repository must be written in
conformance to the " Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language
<http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html> as
published by Sun, or in conformance with another well-defined convention
specified by the subproject.
"

Also,  I wanted to mention that it would have been most helpful to get
this input in response to earlier threads requesting adjustments to
content and wording.  I hope that you will  reconsider whether  further
wording adjustments are needed at this point.  Perhaps they could occur
at the happy time that we take out the Note: section.

Thanks

Kathey