db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve coding conventions for the Derby project
Date Sat, 12 Aug 2006 04:23:09 GMT
Manish Khettry wrote:

>I see that we're deferring tabs vs spaces and the "{"
>position issue for later.

The convention does cover the  "{" position. and the long term strategy
for spaces vs tabs.

Inspired by the Wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/IncrementalDevelopment page,
I am  trying the  IncrementalConcensus approach #:)

Steps are:

1) Decide upon long term coding conventions (This vote)
2) Determine long term strategy for consistent code formating and
spacing of the code.  (My initial thought is reformat all the codelines
but there is debate on this point.  Other solutions may present themselves)
3) Assuming some large scale action is needed, recruit  some detail
oriented  volunteer to perform the deed when it needs to occur. (Such a
task is not in my skill set)
4) Gain consensus on a date for the  large scale action if needed.
5) Volunteer executes large scale action if needed.
6) Remove the "Note:" section of the convention.
7) Put this whole mess behind us and enjoy a world without white space
diffs wasting everyones time, impeding review,  and hiding bugs in the
product.

Of course how far we get down this path remains to be seen.  I think
each incremental step achieved will be useful even if we get stuck along
the way.

Kathey