db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:29:11 GMT
Thanks to everyone for thinking through the issues here. This has been
very helpful. I don't understand the practical advantages of a copy
versus a branch, particularly since I will have to create a branch
eventually. I could use some more education here. What would be the
objections to the following scheme? A big advantage to this scheme is
that it's something I can wrap my mind around:

1) I create a 10.2 branch.

2) I turn on the beta bit in that branch.

3) I generate the beta candidate from that branch.

4) In the meantime, bug fixes accumulate in the trunk.

5) At some point I mega-merge the trunk into the 10.2 branch based on a
triggering event:

  a) triggered by the need to generate a new release candidate

  b) triggered by the checkin of destabilizing work such as a partial
feature

6) After the mega-merge, fixes must be applied to both the trunk and the
10.2 branch.

Thanks again for helping me work through these issues.

Regards,
-Rick