db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:32:37 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> So, the first one is more of what traditionally would be called a tag,
> except that it has one extra change in it than what is in the trunk -
> the change to make it report as beta. The second one is what more
> traditionally is called a branch.
>
> In svn, everything is a copy, it knows not of these branches and tags.
> I think the svn mavens suggested setting up branch and tag areas in
> the repository for those purposes because people are already familiar
> with those concepts from other source control systems. :-)

Yes, to me a branch means there is a change in there, a tag just means
we had a checkpoint of some sort.
So with this scheme I tend to think of the beta branch as a short lived
branch because there is indeed a change.    But I guess that it is
recorded is the main thing. It was the copy and change that tripped the
radar (still on reflex, still trying to shut down).

Thanks for the explanation.

Kathey