db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:28:41 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there any impact to having a milestone event like beta 10.2  not
>>> recorded in our svn history?
>>

>> If the beta reports as being at a revision that is modified
>> from what's in svn, then that's a little suspect. What really went out
>> as the beta? There's no way to verify via source control. That's a
>> problem, to me anyway.
>>
> That is why the copy and flip a bit strategy worries me.  It sounds like
> the same beginning to a story that I have seen played out many times
> with poor results.   Lots of confusion and  only project historians and
> witnesses can tell you what really happened.  I think whatever we put
> out should be built  straight from the repository.

I'm getting (more?) confused now. I thought that the approach Andrew
brought up of the svn copy, followed by modifying the beta bit in that
branch would leave a svn history with a unique svn revision number. I
was assuming the flip the bit was committed back to the branch.
Or is a copy not a branch?

Dan.