db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 04:43:03 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Here are the options so far. I've never done this before so I'm grateful
> for advice from those who have already been down this road:
>
> 1) Create a branch and change the version information so that Derby
> reports itself as beta.
>
> + It's clear that the the built code is beta.

> - Bug fixes must be tested/committed to two codelines.

Of course there's no 'must' about it. Any one would be free to fix a bug
in the branch or the trunk and leave it at that. It would be great if
they fixed it in both places but it's really up to anyone who cares
enough and most likely a release manager. E.g.

 fix in trunk - release manager may care enough about the fix to ensure
it gets merged up to the branch

 fix in branch - the release manager for the *next* feature release will
probably have to ensure it is merged to the trunk to avoid a regression.

Of course the release manager doesn't have to do the merges, just herd
the cats in that direction. :-) Hopefully most folks would merge it into
both places.

You can also view the two merges as a 'plus', it makes it painful enough
for folks so that for the next release they are more incented to get all
their changes in before the release manager cuts the branch. :-)

Dan.