db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:01:12 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> so far. I've never done this before so I'm grateful for advice from
> those who have already been down this road:
>
> 1) Create a branch and change the version information so that Derby
> reports itself as beta.
>
> + It's clear that the the built code is beta.

good.

> - Bug fixes must be tested/committed to two codelines.

I say this is not true.  We make the branch and just make that one beta
flag flip.
Everyone gets their builds setup and running but we keep working on the
trunk.
Nobody bothers with merging fixes to the branch.

Then at whatever point we feel we need a real branch  someone does  one
biggish merge
with the range for all that has gone into the trunk so far and just
reverse merge the one change
for the 10.3 version bump.

Kathey