db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:45:02 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>Hi Andrew,
>>

>>Andrew McIntyre wrote:

>>>Are you planning do the beta out of the trunk? I don't think there's a
>>>need to branch until there's actually potential for release. It'll
>>>save a lot of merging.
>>>

>>I think this is a great idea. I will just cut the beta off the trunk.
>>

>What exactly is the plan here, people have been throwing around beta but
>I don't know what that means in this context? Are you going to change
>the version information so Derby reports itself as beta? Doing that on
>the trunk just seems wrong, maybe it's ok, but isn't the trunk always
>alpha, cutting edge, etc?
>
>Confused,
>Dan.

Here are the options so far. I've never done this before so I'm grateful
for advice from those who have already been down this road:

1) Create a branch and change the version information so that Derby
reports itself as beta.

+ It's clear that the the built code is beta.
- Bug fixes must be tested/committed to two codelines.

2) Continue working in the trunk.

+ For a week or two longer we only have to test and commit in one codeline.
- Requires that committers not check in partial features for a week or two.
- The beta candidate says that it is alpha.

3) Continue working in the trunk but mark the version as beta.

+ For a week or two longer we only have to test and commit in one codeline.
- Requires that committers not check in partial features for a week or two.
- The trunk says it is beta, which may be confusing.

4) Other options?

I would appreciate guidance from the community about which of these
options seems least onerous and/or confusing.

Thanks,
-Rick