db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:06:23 GMT

Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>

> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I think there's a significant delta between the last snapshot and the
>>> beta I plan to cut imminently. I would recommend that people wait for
>>> the beta.
>>

>> Are you planning do the beta out of the trunk? I don't think there's a
>> need to branch until there's actually potential for release. It'll
>> save a lot of merging.
>

> I think this is a great idea. I will just cut the beta off the trunk.

What exactly is the plan here, people have been throwing around beta but
I don't know what that means in this context? Are you going to change
the version information so Derby reports itself as beta? Doing that on
the trunk just seems wrong, maybe it's ok, but isn't the trunk always
alpha, cutting edge, etc?

Confused,
Dan.