db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rototilling the ij scripts
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:56:21 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> As part of the copyright rototill, we're going to need to put headers in
> our ij scripts. Rather than rototill the canons as well, I recommend
> that we just sed out the header. So, for instance, we could agree to put
> the following block verbatim at the beginning of every ij script and
> just sed it out. What think ye?

-0.8

The current use of sed in canon based testing makes me nervous, in my
messing around with JUnit and providing a script based test running I
was avoiding use of sed. I believe that sed just provides chances for
bugs to be hidden. The current use of sed for example sed's out all
valid dates just because in a few cases CURRENT_TIMESTAMP is used. Maybe
that was responsible for the bug where seting date values some way never
gave the corect answer, since in the output they alwways appeared as a
fixed string.

Dan.