db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JUnit unit tests - parallel test three?
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:33:20 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I'm putting forth a suggestion on my own here, since I have not received
>> any feedback.
>>
>> a) What about mirroring the Derby source tree at
>> 'java/testing/org/apache/derby'?
>
> One thing we want to avoid is test code having identical package names
> as engine/client code. This could lead to test code accidentally
> ending up in the jar files and increasing footprint, and is one of the
> reasons why we have the test code in a separate package,
> org.apache.derbyTesting, from the non-test code. So, as long as your
> tree were amended to make derby = derbyTesting, it would probably be
> ok.

Hi Andrew,

What you are telling me to avoid, is excatly what I want to do :)
The reason is that I want to be able to write unit tests for package
private classes. I guess this might complicate things wrt build scripts,
and maybe also wrt to jar sealing.

Do you know of any other means to achieve what I seek, besides from
writing "indirect tests" using the public API, or some overly
complicated approach as using reflection to bypass access restrictions?

Note that I only wish to be able to write unit tests for package private
classes (and more public), not private classes.

--
Kristian

[snip]