db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:02:12 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 8/8/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> > Glad you mentioned it, btw. Everybody on this list that has a blog
>> > should mention the beta there.
>>
>> Wouldn't that require that we actully have a beta period? Haven't seen
>> that in the 10.2 schedule.
>

> Well, it is in fact fully up to our release manager to have one, of
> course. But if we get to Friday, and we still have blocking issues
> such that a release vote is unlikely to pass, and Rick is determined
> to press forward with branching and rolling
> not-really-release-candidates, it seems reasonable to have a short
> beta period while the legal wrangling settles down. As I said, though,
> totally up to Rick if he wants to do that.
>
> andrew

I hope to rely heavily on the community's advice here. I'm a bit unclear
on the distinction between a beta and a release. Is it basically a
matter of whether the beta bit is turned on, preventing the candidate
from building upgradable databases? Or does does the distinction mean
more for Apache and/or Derby?