db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beta Announcement and encouraging user testing
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:26:59 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>>  after a year of development
>

> Although it's no help for the current situation, I think that one of
> the issues here is that our release cycle for this release is too long,
> and we've strayed from the "Release Early, Release Often" advice
> (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html)
>

> Over the last few months I've gotten a bit of a taste for what's involved
> in a release, and obviously it's a fair amount of overhead.
>
> Still, it seems like we should strive, whenever possible, to release
> substantially more frequently than once a year.

I agree as long as "substantially more frequently than once a year" does
lead to substantially more branches per year. The *early* and often can
also include snapshots available for users to test. Release early/often
does not have to imply full blown ASF releases. We just have to get
useable code in peoples' hands.

Dan.