db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help with XML patches (was Re: last week of 10.2 development)
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 03:26:28 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I changed the subject to see if this might get the attention of those
> otherwise deleting the thread.

Thanks David!  Looks like it worked :)

And thanks to Yip and Bryan for offering to start the review process.  I do
appreciate your time and any feedback you might have.

> Army, do your patches include necessary release notes/documentation?

I don't think 'release notes' are needed per se since, up until now, XML has
been an "experimental" development that has not been documented anywhere
official (because SQL/XML standard was still evolving and thus we couldn't
guarantee any specific functionality).  There are also notes in DERBY-334, which
is where the XML type was first introduced, saying that the XML datatype was not
intended for production use due to evolving standards.  So theoretically no
users should be using the XML datatype in their environments (famous last words?)

As for documentation, I've scanned through the Derby manuals and composed what I
believe to be the necessary doc additions for the XML type; still need to file a
Jira issue for that and attach my proposed changes.  It's on my list...

Thanks again to all who have graciously offered to review, commit, and/or
provide feedback on the patches.

Army