db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: last week of 10.2 development
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:00:17 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> We are headed into the last week of 10.2 development. A number of
>> Blocker and Urgent issues are still in motion. Now would be a good time
>> to alert the community if you are working on one of these issues and
>> think that you might need some help to finish by August 10.
>
> DERBY-688   Enhancements to XML functionality to move toward
> XPath/XQuery support...
>            http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-688

There are currently 5 (yes, five) incremental patches attached to DERBY-688,
each of which is dependent on its predecessor and none of which have been
reviewed/committed yet.  I also have one or two _additional_ (small) patches to
post in order to align the XML datatype with the targeted subset of
SQL/XML[2006] functionality.

I've already given up on completing any of the JDBC-side changes described for
DERBY-688 by the August 10th deadline (yes, I need to update the spec to reflect
that); instead I'm just working on SQL-side support only (and even that is just
a subset of what I originally proposed).  That said, I've been side-tracked with
the blocker regression DERBY-1633 and am therefore quickly running out of time
to finish the final XML changes.

While I still hope to have the remaining patches posted by the 10th, if anyone
has time to review/commit the patches that I've already posted, I would be
extremely grateful.  It's hard enough that I'm side-tracked with DERBY-1633; it
would be nice if, when I finally get back to XML, I could just spend time on the
remaining changes instead of having to re-sync all five patches with the latest
codeline (and with each other) and then create the final patches w.r.t to those
other uncommitted patches.  Ugh.  This kind of multi-patch-sync is
time-consuming, error-prone, and just generally not fun (one of the downsides to
incremental development, I guess...?).

If there's anyone out there with the time and inclination to move the XML
patches forward (by reviewing and/or commmitting), I could certainly use the help.

Many thanks,
Army