db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:56:20 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I hope that David can commit the work for DERBY-1377 before we cut the
> 10.2 branch next week. Unfortunately, I think David is stuck because
> it's unclear what's required. Here's where I think this issue stands:
>
> UNRESOLVED ISSUES:
>
> 1) Do we need to add license headers to our build scripts, property
> files, README files, and other human-readable files which currently
> don't have copyright notices? Or are these files excluded under the
> rubric of "file without any degree of creativity"? Does some other
> escape-clause exlude these files?

So I'll go out on a limb and say:

  output from tests (.out) files have "no degree of creativity" since
they are computer generated from other files.

  property files (.properties) have "no degree of creativity"  since
they are just lists of values

  SQL test scripts (.sql etc) have "no degree of creativity" since they
have no stand-alone purpose and can be considered as a non-creative
representation of a test plan. Sound good :-)

Dan.