db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:13:52 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>>The DB PMC can approve committing a contribution with a copyright
>>>statement in it.
>>Where does it say that on the policy page?
> Not on that page.
> I have that understand from posts on legal-discuss regarding the source
> header changes.
> First by this post by Roy Fielding [1]:
>    On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Stephen McConnell ((DPML)) wrote:
>    > In addition to the above I would like to know the ASF position
>    > concerning
>    > potentially new contributions to the ASF associated to known and
>    > reachable
>    > contributors via existing copyright assertions who are unwilling to
>    > acquiesce to the removal of copyright statements from existing
>    > documents.
>    The law does not allow us to remove or alter the copyright notice
>    without the copyright owner's consent.  When new contributions are
>    made, the responsible PMC decides whether the contribution is in a
>    form that they deem acceptable, and either accepts it or rejects it.
> And this post, also by Roy Fielding [2]:
>    On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>    > Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
>    > and not
>    > thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
>    > decisions,
>    > but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
>    > copywrong.
>    A PMC must vote to accept the contribution. The PMC can choose not to
>    accept the contribution based on anything it doesn't like.  If we make
>    a special rule based on all of the possible anti-social behaviors
>    that might lead to chaos, then our PMCs are never going to learn how
>    to govern themselves.  We only need ASF-wide rules for the things that
>    are required of the ASF as a whole.
> Anything that does not match the documented guideline should be popped
> to the PMC. And, if there's any doubt about what the PMC can and cannot
> do, the PMC itself can get further guidance.
>  -jean
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c790B35FB-A5E1-45A7-800F-5ED790A15DDE@gbiv.com%3e
> [2]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c3C724EA4-47C1-409B-B87C-BDD8585CBCCE@gbiv.com%3e

Later discussion seems to imply Roy is wrong, there is a single policy
for this issue, set by the board. PMC's cannot overrule it.

"Note in B2 of the resolution "there
should be no copyright notice in the header"."

The board resolution in the legal-discuss matches the policy page, no
mention that PMC's can opt out.

Not clear though.

View raw message