db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:13:52 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>>The DB PMC can approve committing a contribution with a copyright
>>>statement in it.
>>
>>Where does it say that on the policy page?
>>
>>http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

> Not on that page.
>
> I have that understand from posts on legal-discuss regarding the source
> header changes.
>
> First by this post by Roy Fielding [1]:
>
>    On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Stephen McConnell ((DPML)) wrote:
>    > In addition to the above I would like to know the ASF position
>    > concerning
>    > potentially new contributions to the ASF associated to known and
>    > reachable
>    > contributors via existing copyright assertions who are unwilling to
>    > acquiesce to the removal of copyright statements from existing
>    > documents.
>
>    The law does not allow us to remove or alter the copyright notice
>    without the copyright owner's consent.  When new contributions are
>    made, the responsible PMC decides whether the contribution is in a
>    form that they deem acceptable, and either accepts it or rejects it.
>
> And this post, also by Roy Fielding [2]:
>
>    On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>    > Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
>    > and not
>    > thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
>    > decisions,
>    > but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
>    > copywrong.
>
>    A PMC must vote to accept the contribution. The PMC can choose not to
>    accept the contribution based on anything it doesn't like.  If we make
>    a special rule based on all of the possible anti-social behaviors
>    that might lead to chaos, then our PMCs are never going to learn how
>    to govern themselves.  We only need ASF-wide rules for the things that
>    are required of the ASF as a whole.
>
> Anything that does not match the documented guideline should be popped
> to the PMC. And, if there's any doubt about what the PMC can and cannot
> do, the PMC itself can get further guidance.
>
>  -jean
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c790B35FB-A5E1-45A7-800F-5ED790A15DDE@gbiv.com%3e
>
> [2]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c3C724EA4-47C1-409B-B87C-BDD8585CBCCE@gbiv.com%3e

Later discussion seems to imply Roy is wrong, there is a single policy
for this issue, set by the board. PMC's cannot overrule it.

"Note in B2 of the resolution "there
should be no copyright notice in the header"."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200607.mbox/%3c200607051020.35245.niclas@hedhman.org%3e

The board resolution in the legal-discuss matches the policy page, no
mention that PMC's can opt out.

Not clear though.

Dan.