db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:53:18 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>This point from DERBY-1377 is falling into the cracks:
>

>>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1377#action_12422783 says this:
>>

>>>Copyright 1997, 2004 The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
>>>
>>>Removing these might require the permission of the actual copyright holders, which
might be a pain to track down as to who has copyright on each file (allowing multiple holders
per file). The new ASF policy does allow copyright notices to be left in the header (but would
prefer not to).

>>Is there a resolution for this?
>>

>Dan, you expressed concern about handling of the "Copyright 1997, 2004
>The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as applicable." line.
>How do you think that should be handled?
>
>thanks,
>
> -jean

I'm afraid I don't understand the issue here. Is it one of the following:

A) We don't know who the "licensors" are and are wondering if we have to
identify the licensors and ask their permission?

B) The verbiage above implies a copyright claim by the individual
contributor (or the company which hired the contributor) and we are
wondering if we have to identify these contributors/companies and ask
their permission?

C) Something else?

Thanks,
-Rick